Sunflowers are special because they can grow taller than a house and the center is bigger than your head! Let's see how we can make a sunflower look really BIG!
Each student will need:
- Construction paper
- Pre-cut Paper Circles in yellow and/or orange (2")
- Glue stick
Each student chooses a piece of construction paper in any color. They receive 8-10 circles in yellow, orange, or a combination of the two to make a pattern.
Take a marker and draw the center of the sunflower. Use brown and color it using textured strokes such as dots and scribbles. Then fold each circle twice, creating "doors." My students say it's the shape of a French fry box.
Start gluing each petal around the center of the flower so that the "doors" swing open.
What are some ways to make the sunflower look BIG?
- Glue the flower at the very top of the paper- even a little bit off the page
- Draw clouds low on the page so the flower looks taller than the clouds
- Draw a small house or a small person at the bottom of the page
- Make the stem bent over, like this student:
And don't forget to add some extra details!